This sample marketing plan was written with the objective of saving you and your company the time and money it would take to formulate your own marketing plan from scratch. Keith Inniss, an experienced banker and fellow of the Institute of Canadian Bankers, wrote the sample. Following is the outline from which you will see that this document is very comprehensive:
Sample Marketing Plan Outline
- Executive Summary
- Overview of the situation and the strategies employed
- Background, Purpose and Objectives
- Environment Analysis
- External Analysis, Macro environment
- Demographics, Cultural & Social, Political Analysis, Economic Analysis, Technological Analysis
- Market Analysis
- Competition Analysis
- Internal Analysis
- Performance Analysis, Management and Staff, Infrastructure and Delivery, Customers
- SWOT Analysis
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats
- Positioning Strategies
- Supply Strategies, Demand Strategies, Positioning Strategies, Competition Strategies
- Mix Strategies
- Samples of the mix strategies relating to product, price, promotion and people
- Marketing Plan Implementation
- Example implementation schedule
- Marketing Plan Controls
- Controls schedule
- Financial Forecast
Importance of marketing plan for a business
In order to develop products and services to meet the needs of the targeted consumers it is necessary for a business to develop a marketing plan. It will help the customers to understand and compare your products with that of your competitors to feel the difference between them. You can reach to your targeted audience, improve your customer base and increase the base of your business by making a good plan for its marketing. It will help you not only in setting clear, measurable and realistic objectives but also in seeking finances for your business.
Before making a plan for a business one must know what is a marketing plan? A good marketing plan can be made after researching on marketing strategies and the changing trends with the passage of time. In fact it is one of the important factors on which the success of a business greatly depends.
Necessity of a plan for marketing a business
A good marketing plan is necessary for every business, big or small, as it helps in connecting it with its customers. No business can survive without customers. You must understand the value of marketing to attract and retain the customers for your business. You can introduce yourself, your business and the products and services you deal in to satisfy the needs of your customers with the help of a perfect plan. It will also help your customers to know the reasons of preferring your products and services than that of your competitors.
But making a marketing plan for a business is much more than advertisement and sales as it requires understanding the marketing analysis to make it. Most small business owners do not care much on marketing their business due to its expensiveness. They usually do not consider the uniqueness that their business will get after its proper marketing. A good planning can help in popularizing your brand to make your business more successful.
Things to consider while making a marketing strategy
While making a marketing plan for your brand and business you must understand:
- The needs of the customers you focus on.
- The marketing strategies adopted by your competitors to satisfy the customers targeted by you.
- The ways you can adopt to make your customers understand that your products and services are different or better than that of your competitors.
These are the basic principles which help in making a good marketing plan for a business. Most of the business owners consider these things while planning for their business but they do not realize their importance. You have successfully completed the first step of marketing your business, if you have initially focused on these points.
Documentation of a marketing plan
A marketing plan is a strategic document which can help in planning the growth of a business along with focusing on its resources. You can understand various factors affecting the success of your business during the process of planning its marketing. It can enable you to control your life and business instead of worrying for their future.
You should research on marketing strategies and write down a marketing plan for your business to:
- Recognize the market you are focusing on and know the ways to meet up their needs through your products and service.
- Recognize the competitors of your business and the views of your targeted audience about their weaknesses and strengths.
- Improve the level of products and services of your brand to make your targeted customers recognize their better quality and difference from that of your competitors.
- Locate certain scalable targets and parameters for the marketing activities for your business.
- Work out on marketing strategies like channels, tools and messages to approach your targeted customers.
The documentation of a marketing plan for a business provides effective control to its owner as it helps in controlling its day-to-days works. The sample marketing plan will show this. The targets set in the plan can help its owners to distribute the budget and resources, encourage the marketing team and manage the marketing efforts as well as the performance of their staff members.
But only making a marketing plan is not important for a business, it should also be updated from time to time to market a business differently with changing time.
Thus a good marketing plan is one of the most important factors for the successful growth of a business.
You can go to miomarketing.com to learn more about marketing.
Download the Sample Marketing Plan
The marketing plan example available on this site has been professionally written and is free for download in Microsoft Word format. After downloading it, you can easily make adjustments to suit your company’s needs. You are not restricted in any way from adding, deleting or rewording the content of the sample.